Imagine this: you are trying to stream your game to a bunch of your friends, keep them entertained, but you find out that the audio is not working at all. If you are reading this article, then I am sure you are facing a ‘Discord Stream No Sound’ problem. Fortunately, this is a well-documented issue and if your Discord stream has no sound, then I have a bunch of solutions that you can try out.
After trying out the instructions in this article, you should be able to stream your game, your work demo, and so on without any issues.
How to Fix Discord Stream No Sound Issue?
These are some of the steps that have worked for a lot of people. I recommend that you follow these steps one by one until the audio starts working again.
1. Restart Your Device
The screen share feature is a fairly recent feature that was added to Discord and I am not surprised that a few of the bugs have not been ironed out. Thankfully, you can make this bug go away by simply restarting your device.
A lot of technicians recommend this step if something goes wrong with a device for a good reason. There might be a few bugs and few apps that are interfering with Discord and restarting the device will sometimes fix them.
2. Update Discord
Like I mentioned earlier, Discord’s screen share feature is relatively new. If you have an older version of Discord, then you may be using the beta version of screen share. If your Discord stream has no sound, then you should get the latest version of the app. To update the app, follow these instructions:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Copy %localappdata%, paste it into Run and hit Enter.
- Open the Discord folder.
- Double click Update.exe.
- This will update your app if you do not have the latest version. After that, simply open Discord again.
3. Disable Your Anti-Virus
This will not happen with something like Windows Defender, but if you have a third-party antivirus, then you should consider disabling it until you finish your stream. Some antiviruses can be overtly cautious and block processes. This may lead to a lack of audio during Discord streams.
4. Clear Discord Cache
The cache is used to quickly store and retrieve the data by the app. However, these files can have errors in them and Discord stream sound may get affected. If you have no Discord stream audio, then you should clear out the cache. The steps to do so are given below.
- Quit Discord completely. On Windows, you can do so by pressing Alt+F4.
- Press Windows + R together.
- Copy and paste %appdata% into Run and press Enter.
- Find the Discord folder and delete it.
- Relaunch Discord and see whether the audio works now.
5. Reset Voice Settings
Some errors in the app may be too serious and the steps above may not be able to fix them. Fortunately, the solutions are simple. All you have to do is reset Voice Settings from the app.
- Click on the Gear icon at the bottom left corner to open Discord Settings.
- Click on Voice and Video from the sidebar.
- Scroll down and select Reset Voice Settings.
- Confirm and check whether your friends can hear your beautiful singing voice now.
6. Run as Administrator
Granting an app administrative rights can give it more resources. To run the Discord app in admin mode, all you have to do is:
- Quit Discord completely. On Windows, you can do so by pressing alt+F.
- Right-click on the Discord icon and select Run as administrator.
- Confirm and check whether the Discord stream has sound now.
If this works, you are going to have to run Discord as an admin every time. To do so, follow these steps:
- Right-click on Discord and select Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab and check Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply and then click OK.
7. Add Discord Activity
To fix the audio issue on the Discord stream, you are going to have to add the game as an activity. A lot of users have claimed that this helped them fix the issue.
- Open Discord and go to Settings.
- Under the Game Settings header, click on Game Activity.
- Click Add it and select the game.
- Make sure that the Overlay is turned on by clicking on the monitor icon.
8. Update Audio Driver
A faulty or outdated audio driver can also cause this sound problem on Discord streams. To update your drivers, follow these steps:
- Press Windows + X keys together.
- Select Device Manager.
- Find the audio drivers.
- Right-click and select Update driver for the microphone.
- Select Automatically install drivers and windows will finish the job for you.
- Check whether Discord stream has sound or not.
9. Reinstall Discord
This is the last fix you can try. You have to uninstall and reinstall Discord from scratch. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open up the start menu and search for Discord.
- Right-click on Discord and select Uninstall. You will be taken to the Control panel.
- Click on Discord and then click Uninstall.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Download Discord from this link and run the installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Discord again.
Now you know what to do if Discord has no sound. You can stream and have fun with your friends to your heart’s content. I have heard that some teachers conduct classes through Discord and I hope that they found this article helpful. If you got doubts, feel free to let me know in the comments section.